What is a breast cushion?
The breast cushion is the piece of the breast pump that goes around your breast. Here’s what you need to know about fit. The Lansinoh® Comfort-FitTM Breast Cushion is designed with a soft, flexible silicone rim which feels comfortable against the breast and provides a secure seal.
Properly fitted breast cushions:
- Allow your nipple to move in and out freely without touching or rubbing along the sides;
- Draw in only your nipple and a small portion of your areola.
Improperly fitted breast cushions:
- Block milk ducts reducing the amount you can express and potentially leading to clogged ducts;
- Cause pain or injury to your nipples.
If your breast cushion is too large, you’ll notice:
- A large portion of your areola is pulled into the tunnel.
If your breast cushion is too small, you’ll notice:
- Your nipples touching or rubbing along the sides of the tunnel;
- A feeling of pinching or soreness in the nipple when pumping;
- Your breasts don’t feel empty after pumping, or it take a long time for them to feel empty;
- Your nipple will be misshaped when you finish pumping.
What else should I know?
The Lansinoh® Manual Breast Pump and the Lansinoh® Compact Single Electric Breast Pump comes with a standard sized breast cushion. A larger size is available by contacting us.