When using a pump, such as Lansinoh’s Compact Single Electric Breast Pump, you need to create a relaxing routine, which will help condition a let-down of breastmilk and initiate milk flow, making the overall experience more comfortable.
Here are a few more tips to help you pump successfully:
- One of the most important things you need to do is to keep yourself hydrated, have a glass of water before you start pumping and another next to you whilst you’re pumping.
- Some things that can help encourage your milk flow are having a picture of your baby nearby, keeping something which smells of your baby for example, a blanket from their cot and hearing your baby.
- There are products that can help too, for example Lansinoh® TheraPearl® 3-in-1 Breast Therapy Pack when placed in the microwave for approximately 15 seconds and positioned around your pump can help initiate milk flow.
- Pump first thing in the morning, this is when your will have the most milk supply.
- Make sure your nipple is in the centre of the breast cushion and that you have the right size breast cushion.
- Track the date, time, and duration of your feeding and pumping sessions as well as the amount of milk expressed from each breast. Keeping these records can help you identify trends or patterns so you can establish your optimal feeding and pumping routine.
- You should pump until your milk flow slows down and then switch to the other breast.
And finally don’t forget to relax!
Always read the label and follow the directions of use.